Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Question from Cheech: Any Good Vets?


"I'm on the hunt for a new vet. I've come to the conclusion my current vet isn't too keen on actually taking care of my pets. I was wondering what vet you guys use?? Possibly one who has specifically dealt with pug related problems? I think Cheech has something wrong with his pallet and my vet won't even check. Cheech has these "snorting fits" and "cough and gag fits" they are getting more frequent and more intense. I'm starting to get worried!"

4 comments:

Calvin said...

From Tracy (Abby & Tegan): "I love my vet. Princess Animal Hospital. Both doctors are great. They often get down on their hands and knees to say hi to Tegan and Abby, or to do a little playing around. They may be more pricey - but I do recommend them. Good luck."

From Theresa (Lewis): "I just found a new vet that I love, after having tried practically every other vet in Kingston. There are two vets at Princess Animal Hospital (at Bayridge and Princess). One is Dr. White (she is awesome), the other is Dr. Latimer. Both are excellent. Furthermore, the whole clinic is just great – wonderful staff, very modern and comprehensive facilities (they have their own lab, ultrasound, radiology, on-site surgical ward, boarding, etc.) I can't say enough good things about this clinic – they are very caring and conscientious and they clearly love pets. That's my recommendation..."

From Sheila and Sarah (Maggie-May & Gatsby): "We swear by Jeff Latimer at Princess Animal Hospital. He takes his
patients' concerns very seriously, gives you as much time as you need and has a genuine love for animals. I give him 10 out of 10. I was at Beardall Animal Hospital before and did not feel the many different vets I saw were really personally connected with me or my animals. Moving to Princess Animal Hospital has been great--even tho it is located a long way from where we live downtown. It is near the Cat Centre. The address is in the phone book.

From Cathy (Lucy): "Hi Brandi (Cheech's mom) we take our Lucy to Dr. Jay Black just off of Milford Drive. We take Lucy to get her toenails done and her glands expressed. I find all vets expensive but he seems to have a way with Lucy as she can be a handfull especially around her feet. Vets are like dentists there are a ton of them in Kingston but its hard to find one that takes a real interest in your pet. Good luck with your search and let me know how you make out."

From Susan (Iggy): "We go to Dr. Jay Black and Dr. John Wilson at the Bayridge Animal Hospital. Iggy really likes both of the vets and they always get me in right away whenever I have a pug related emergency (usually involving eating something he shouldn't). They seem really good."

From Meredith (Henry): "My god, it sounds like what Henry is just getting over. Is it kind of like Cheech has a hairball? Henry does that snorting thing too,(like he can't catch his breath) but has forever(and not very frequently). Did you just notice both came up together, or are they seperate isues? I use Dr.Black and absolutely adore him. You may have remembered Henry barfing at the pug party, that was two weeks into his coughing and gag fit. (or his hairball as i was calling it) Dr. Black couldn't find anything wrong, but put him on antibiotics thinking he might have a mild infection, and it seems to be working wonders. For the past three weeks, i thought Henry had damaged his wind pipe or esophagus, is that kind of like Cheech?"

Anonymous said...

Hey guys,

I work at Cataraqui Pet hospital as a Veterinary Technician. So I guess I am bias that I think that our team is awesome. (wink wink) Of course Princess Animals Hospital & Bayridge Animal Hospital are great clinics as well. I love to see pugs come in because I own one and usually get "Peanut" to come up front and greet them. We have friendly staff and reasonable pricing. We do see alot of pugs in our clinic and deal with pug issues.

Peanut, my girl, get the snorts sometimes, I referred to it as the" backwards sneezes"..... she will snort and heaves, it totally stress me out when she gets like that. ( its almost like she is have difficultly breathing) I have learned that if you pinched her nostrils, almost preventing her to breath of a couple of seconds (3-4 secs) then let go she will sneeze and the snorting fit will be over. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries but it DOES work. This may sound strange but if works for her. She doesn't have them very often. I believe this is common in Brachycephalic breeds like Pugs, Bulldogs, Boston Terrier etc. I would say if it happening more frequently you should get this condition looked at by a Veterinarian.

Hope to see you soon. Cannot wait to meet everyone!!

Chery & Peanut

Anonymous said...

I have heard of a condition called "backwards breathing" and, just as Chery explained, if you cover your pug's nostrils for a few seconds and try to keep him/her calm, the weird breathing fit will stop. Samson has done this "backwards breathing" from time to time, and this technique has worked well with him.

I too use the Princess Animal hospital and find that they are pretty good (although expensive).

Pugs and kisses,
Sandy, Samson, and Bogart

Anonymous said...

My pug Harley has to have his pallett shortened because he chokes on it and stops beathing i think your pug might have the same problem i take Harley to Kingston Mills vet, hes really good. I suggest you try him