Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Question from Lucy: Litter-Trained Pug?


"I remember listening to some of the other pug owners at the pug fest say that they have trained their dogs to go in litter boxes in the winter. Like most pug owners I have one that hates the cold and we are dreading the winter months. Can you tell me how you get a pug to use a litter box? When Lucy does her thing outside she goes back and forth back and forth 10 feet in each direction so I wonder if this remedy would work for us. If you have any suggestions I would love to hear about them. Thanks Cathy (Lucy's mom)"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the fact Cheech is litter trained, for those cold days, rainy days or even days that I work longer then expected. First off I had to get a litter box that was bigger then the traditional litter box. I just used a rubbermaid storage bin, one that was short, like something you could store things under your bed with.

Since Cheech was already paper/puppy pad trained I found that putting the litter in the box then placing the puppy pad on top was the best method. He knew the use the pad so it got him into the habit of going into the box to
go to the bathroom. This got him used to the feel of the litter beneath his feet as well. After a couple weeks I stopped using puppy pads in the box and just the litter and Cheech just keep using it.

As for litter I use pine pellets, its not for everyone though. The pine pellets don't clump it turns to powder when it gets wet. So it can be tracked outside the litter box. Thats a downfall but also a feature I liked, because if its eaten by Cheech (which he will eat anything) there is no way it will cause any blockages. Its also flushable so if you want you can just scoop and flush.

Hope this helps a little!!

Brandi
(Cheech's mum)