Wednesday, March 26, 2008

My little explorers




I've been trying to get healthier lately, which includes upping the amount of exercise I get each day. With the sun sticking around a little longer in the afternoon and evening, the puppies and I have more time outdoors (Sharon hates the cold) to explore and play in the snow. Recent weather offers a rare opportunity for us to do this, since the snow has melted enough to become compact, and has then frozen, making the ground hard enough to walk on without snowshoes. Underneath the snow, over most of our 10 acres, is marshland. So you can understand why it is exciting for us to get out there and see what we've got. We walked for about 30 minutes straight back from our house. We crossed the barb-wire fence at the back (Jason, you'll remember this from our muddy excursion in the summer), and into neighbouring vacant, unspoiled land. It was beautiful. Heidi and Beatrice were loving it, getting their noses into all kinds of crap, bounding back and forth, Beatrice head-butting Heidi, Heidi climbing cliffs, both of them generally going nuts as they tend to do.

7 comments:

Calvin said...

Ack! I hate bulrushes!

-sharon-

Anonymous said...

It's really nice back there when you're able to walk around like that !!! It's really too bad you can't do that in the summer. Haven't they invented some kind of floating shoes yet that let you walk on water ?!?!

And YAY a new blog, life can go on for me now, and I can go to work .. ;)

Calvin said...

What I would ideally like to do is built a little boardwalk. But a) I don't know how, and b) I can't imagine it being within my price range. The materials alone for something like that...

But wouldn't that be nice?

Don't worry Sharon, the bulrushes were all dead. They weren't scary at all.

Jason said...

Mum had the same idea of a boardwalk in back. Her idea wasn't bad actually, it involved gettings old tires, and then essentially putting them under boards that you would place where necessary. The tires you would get for almost nothing since they'd be too used to put on a vehicule, so then you just need a source for Pallets or something like that to mount the tires on.

What is a bulrush anyways ?!

Jason said...

Where did you get the pallet that you use outside your back patio door ? (I call those pallet's, I think they might also be called Skids, i'm not sure, but I think you know what I mean) :)

Calvin said...

Hm. Well, the pallets I could probably get for free. At least I could get quite a few. Our neighbour gets them free from the local golf course, and one time I saw an enourmous pile of them sitting along the road with a sign "free". So I'm sure they can be had. Now where to get the tires...

Would the tires pollute, do you think?

But what a great idea - if it works, it might mean free materials. The rest is just labour, and there's an unlimited supply of that.

Bulrush is a cattail - those tall hotdog like things in marshes.

Jason said...

The tires would be free I'd assume. Go to garage's and stuff, I think they've added a 5$ tax to tires recently that work kind of like a deposit for cans so they might charge u 5$ per tire.

I assumed it was the pallet's that would be costly. If you can get those for free, you've got all you need !!

I don't think they pollute, and if they do, I bet it's less than the smoke that is involved in recycling them !

Sharon, why would you not like bulrushes ?!