Friday, March 30, 2007

Beatrice has a fan?



Ever since we moved onto our new property, we've been amazed at how loud and eerie the owls can be at nighttime. Not something you hear very often in the city. Add a few coyotes to the mix, and you've just about lost all interest in heading to the outhouse at 3am. Yesterday at dinnertime, we heard an owl hooting so loud we knew it was close. We were right. Right in front of our house, staring at us. If you have never had an owl stare you down, you don't know freaky. My concern, other than the still disturbing memory of a black-eyed owl boring into my soul like fingernails on a chalkboard from 15 feet away, is that this owl may have its eyes on Bea. She's just a baby, and probably looks like dinner to a bird of prey almost twice her size. Needless to say, Bea is being closely supervised until she's just a little bit chunkier than she is now, especially with owls getting gutsy enough to hang around our front door.
.
I took a brief video of the owl. It had stopped looking at me by then, so I tried to get its attention for the camera. It didn't respond to me whistling, but you can see it snap to attention when I waved my arm. Anyone who has seen an owl hunt or catch an animal knows how sharp those reflexes are. See the video below. Oh, and you get a peek at the outhouse/shed I built, too. Not that I'm proud or anything...


No comments: