In the year we spent planning our move to the country and building our own home, we were so excited at the thought of being in a place where Heidi (this was pre-Bea) could run free and get loads of exercise. Won't she be happy, we thought, when she's no longer cooped up in a little apartment or on a leash whenever she's outdoors. Won't she be relieved, we thought, at the absence of vehicle traffic and the stomping feet of neighbours. Won't she be eager, we thought, to go exploring the abundant wilderness.So we thought.
Instead, this is how she spends most of her days (note that the glass door is wide open). When we're indoors, she just wants to sleep. When we're outdoors, she just wants up on our laps. Whenever a bird chirps or a squirrel walks by, she goes berserk. So much for the fresh air, exercise, and peacefulness of country living. On the bright side: she loves laser pointer.
5 comments:
Are there actually pugs out there that truly enjoy the country life? Do they really do anything but sleep or sit on our laps??
According to Muffin, the answer is no.
She spends her entire day sleeping, so that she can sleep on my knee when I get home from work. And she get really riled up at blue jays, crows or any other loud bird. Or the leaves falling from the trees.
Heather
It's not that she's lazy, I'm sure - she probably just wants to be wherever you are. Does she follow you when you go outside?
Yes, she follows us just about everywhere. But there are two things she does that Bea (and most other pugs) would never do: 1. from time to time she does wander off exploring if she gets fed up with not being allowed on our laps when we're outside, and 2. if we've been playing laser pointer ANYWHERE, she will refuse to leave that spot, sometimes for hours, in the hope that the laser spot will return. This means that sometimes we're inside while she insists on staying outside, and sometimes she insists on staying inside when we're outside - depending on where we were playing laser pointer, her reason for living.
But I think she could still easily be considered lazy :) She's always the last one out of bed, usually begrudgingly (and growlingly).
Oh, and Heather, Muffin is right. I'll bet there were pugs in the blitzkrieg whose only concern was finding a lap to sleep on.
Cal
Hi Calvin and Sharon, I'm babysitting Micah and Elizabeth today, so I'm taking advantage of high-speed internet to check out the blogs and comments. So I've just come across your comment about Heidi staying wherever the laser pointer last showed up. I'm sure you've thought of the idea of having her follow the laser pointer to wherever you want her to be next? I wonder if I should try that with Kazan - maybe he could be off-leash if I had him on-laser instead! Love, Mom
Hey mom,
Yes, we have tried getting her to follow the laser pointer to get her to a) come outide with us, or b) come inside with us. But there are two problems with that. First, she doesn't see the laser dot from a distance, and will only follow it so far before she turns back to go to the spot it originally appeared, hoping for a reappearance (I know that doesn't make sense, but it's how it happens). Second, in doing that she now is as excited about the laser pointer when she's indoors as when she's outdoors, so we can barely get to to go to sleep when we have her indoors or do her business when we have her outdoors.
It's an addiction...
But it makes her so happy!
Post a Comment