Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Monkey

Of all the cute things I've seen, Honey and her Monkey rank high on the list. The emotional attachment she has to that Monkey is intense. I have not seen her fall asleep without it stuffed into her mouth, her jaw open a good two inches to fit the Monkey's face, her nose whistling through rolls of cheek and forehead as she sleeps. So you can imagine my devastation when I entered the scene below. Honey and Oscar, fighting over Monkey, had gutted him.

I don't know how all that stuffing came out of that little Monkey. He had lacerations to his face, neck, hands, back, and tail (which had been torn off).

Monkey was rushed to Emergency and underwent several lengthy procedures to reattach his head and face. As you can see there is some scarring and some facial distortion, but it was enough to save him. Further surgeries are scheduled to repair his hands, back, and tail.


In the meantime, Honey is allowed moderated access to Monkey for short periods of time during the day, and overnight as she sleeps. During these times, Oscar is closely monitored to prevent another tug-of-war.

This is the only picture I've managed to get with all three kids in it - Sammy, Oscar, and Honey. Sammy, who is estimated to be around 18 years old, seems to enjoy the pugs' company. He has somehow communicated his boundaries to Oscar, who is a (nearly) perfect gentleman around him. On a nice day I might leave the back door open for a time so that the kids can go in and out (to the fenced-in backyard) without me acting as gatekeeper. On a couple of occasions I've found Monkey in the doorway like this, where Honey leaves him as she goes outside to play, retrieving him when she returns.

2 comments:

Jason said...

Haha... Thank god you were able to save the monkey from the pugs ! ;)

Calvin said...

Yes, I was very proud of myself. And I must say I'm quite the seamster.