Thursday, August 07, 2008

Babysitting Honey & Oscar


For the next 10 days, I have the pleasure of babysitting Honey & Oscar. Honey is just the sweetest, most beautiful girl I've encountered (other than Sharon, of course). She has beautiful, sad eyes and an elegance that makes me turn away politely while she "does her business." And, as it turns out, she is also extremely playful, which I didn't expect at all. Her spirit of play comes out mostly when Oscar isn't around - she gives me a look and then when I move toward her she starts zipping around, the happy tucked bum run, round and round and round. And her Monkey teddy - a strong emotional attachment there. I could definitely kidnap Honey. But I won't... hehe... of course I would never do that.

As much as Honey is zen, Oscar is ADHD. When I picked them up, I thought for sure a four hour car ride would tire him out. When we arrived in Montreal, where I'm babysitting at Sharon's mom's house, I thought for sure a good play with Beatrice and Honey in the backyard would tire him out. When they came back in, I thought for sure a good run around the house would tire him out. When I baby-gated him into the kitchen so I could eat in another room without three pugs on my plate, I thought for sure he'd grow tired of barking. Several hours later, I think he fell asleep, but I can't be sure. I passed out from exhaustion at around 2am.

We figured out that Beatrice is (primarily) what gets him that excited, so Bea is now back home with Heidi and things are far, far calmer around here. Rather peaceful, actually.

I have so much to say about Honey and Oscar, I have to pace myself so I have more to write about in the coming days. But I do have to say that they are wonderful, playful, spirited and mischievous little kids. And clever. Who ever came up with the idea that we are the higher intelligence? Be outwitted by a pug 2 or 3 times and you start to wonder.

Lots of adventures with Honey & Oscar to come.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I thought one of the reasons you brought Bea with you was to give Heidi a break back at home ????

Well I hope you enjoy your time pug-sitting and blainville'ing it up. (Whatever that might mean)

Calvin said...

Yeah, we had wanted to give Heidi some alone time. But since her surgery continues to be put off, the urgency of separating them is not what it might have been otherwise. And Bea just seems so sad when she's away from Heidi (not so much the other way around, unfortunately). So it was worth it to make things a little easier on me, and Sharon has some extra company.

Not much to do in Blainville. Especially without a car. I like the calm though. And I must say that it's worth a half hour of walking to get a big greasy bag of Belle Province fries. (You know the sound Homer Simpson makes when he drools? Yeah, that's the one.)