Henry's mom sent in a question for the group. You can post your replies by clicking on the comment tab below this post."I was hoping you could ask the group if anyone else has had to get pug teeth removed (don't forget Henry's only 4) - for what reason, and any tips on teeth care. We always thought we took such good care of his teeth and never really worried about it. Sadly, he had to get two top molars removed, and a front tooth, and they are recommending his wisdom teeth that haven't come through. The vet says that Henry's (or any dog's) body will attack the enamel under the gum, creating a cyst, creating a pocket that subsequently puts so much pressure on his jaw that it will fracture. He had a hard time with the last surgery (my poor ham) and i'm not crazy on the idea of putting him under again (especially since his wisdom teeth are impacted). I would like to know if anyone else has had these sorts of problems? Thank you so much in advance. Meredith and Henry"
1 comment:
Hi Meredith,
When Samson was four, he also had to have many teeth removed because of wide spread dental infection and tooth decay. Samson's dental issue had been ongoing, but he was much better after the surgery (he had almost 15 teeth removed).
Now that we know how prone his teeth are to decay, we brush his teeth every few days with a finger brush, but we will likely have to have his teeth cleaned professionally every two years as he is prone to tartar build up and such. Pugs can often develop dental problems because of crowding, but what you are describing seems like very aggressive "preventative" action. As far as I know, it is not a good idea to have healthy teeth removed unless there is SERIOUS crowding.
I'm not sure which vet you see and how you feel about that vet, but I really believe that Doctor Latimer at the Princess Animal Hospital (which is on Bayridge) is the best vet in Kingston to talk to about these issues. We had two previous vets who missed Samson's dental problems in yearly exams which meant that when we did finally get his teeth addressed it was much worse than it might have been even a year earlier.
I hope this helps.
best wishes,
Sandy (Samson and Bogart's mom)
PS if I can be of any further assistance, you can reach me at sandy.bugeja@gmail.com
Post a Comment